14 November 2009

Drunken Goat (no I'm not Kidding...)

One of the most delicious but underrated meats in the world is goat. It's kinda hard to come by (my theory is that any butcher serving anything labeled 'kid' would come under a fair amount of investigation), but if you can find it, try it - it's fantastic. Tastes a little like lamb, but richer, more savory. I get mine pre-marinated from the butcher in red wine and oregano - but the meat is fantastic plain as well.

I'm cooking some for dinner as we speak - I'll post some photos afterwards because words alone cannot express how wonderful it is.

So here is my recipe for Drunken Goat (aka my dinner tonight...)

3 x goat cutlets, marinated in red wine and oregano
1 glug olive oil
leftover red wine

oven safe casserole dish with lid
wine glass

  1. Turn on the oven and set to 140 C (don't worry about preheating it - it won't take long to heat)
  2. Put the olive oil in the casserole dish (enough to coat the bottom of the dish) and place the goat in on a single layer
  3. Pour over enough red wine to come halfway up the sides
  4. Cover with lid and put in the oven
  5. Drink a glass of wine and read a book for 2 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone
  6. Serve - it's really nice with polenta or mashed potatoes or mashed turnips

Yes, I realise this is a little similar to how I cook my lamb... but it's just so easy and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment