You will need:
4 lamb forequater chops (available from any good butcher - they cost about $2 each!)
bottle red wine (merlot works well)
clove garlic/precrushed garlic
salt and pepper (to taste)
casserole dish (with lid - the lamb spatters)
- Turn on oven and set to 140-150 C
- Put a small glug of olive oil in the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Swirl the lamb around in the oil to give it a good coating.
- Season lamb to taste and put in casserole dish.
- Pour red wine over lamb until it comes about halfway up the side of the chop.
- Add garlic to dish (if it's crushed, fine - if not, it doesn't matter, so long as you've peeled the garlic) and put on lid.
- Put in oven and close oven door.
- Pour yourself a glass of red wine and read a book for 2 hours
- Open oven door and serve. (If garlic has been left whole you don't have to serve it - but it will be really sweet and tender and make a good sauce!)
Note: this recipe works well for as many chops as you can fit in a single layer in the casserole dish. You can add oregano, mustard or rosemary if you like.