IC:E is brought to you by the very generous and passionate sponsors:
As such, in the spirit of passion, I give you:
Fig & Honey Cupcakes (Inspired by this recipe)
You will need:
1 1/2 cups gluten free plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg plus 2 egg whites
1/2 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 C fig jam (such as from this recipe)
1 1/2 250 g packets low fat cream cheese
1/3 C honey
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking powder into a bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a stand mixer on medium speed until very light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the egg and beat to combine. Add in the egg whites, one at a time, and beat to combine.
- Combine milk and vanilla extract together in a cup.
- Add the flour mixture and milk mixture to the batter in alternating additions, starting and ending with the flour. Once the last bit of flour has been added. beat just to combine - do not overbeat.
- Divide batter among the muffin tins. Bake in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack.
- Once cool, cut a 2 cm round in the top (retain tops!)
- Spoon 1/2 tsp fig jam into the hole and replace top. Press in to seal.
- On the lowest speed, beat the cream cheese until just whipped. Add honey and beat until just combined. DO NOT OVERBEAT!
- Pipe cream cheese mixture onto cupcakes. Top with a dot of the remaining jam.